News and Publications of Notre Dame de Sion

Sion Student Media

Sion Student Media

Sion Student Media

Earthquake Hits Taiwan For the First Time in 25 Years

Rescue teams in Taiwan are striving to assist over 600 individuals who are trapped following the island’s most severe earthquake in 25 years.
PHOTO | Tyrone Siu/REUTERS
Relatives walk with a man who was rescued from a remote area, following the earthquake, in Hualien, Taiwan, Apr. 4.

On Wednesday, Taiwan was struck by a powerful 7.4 magnitude earthquake, marking the first such event in 25 years. Tragically, the quake claimed the lives of at least four individuals, with numerous others left injured and affected by the devastation it caused.

A map of the island of Taiwan, and how the Earthquake effected each part of the island. (PHOTO | BBC)

The earthquake not only inflicted damage within Taiwan itself but also triggered tsunami warnings in neighboring Japan and the Philippines, prompting evacuations as a precautionary measure.

According to Taiwan’s Central Weather Administration, the earthquake struck just before 8 a.m. local time, with its epicenter situated approximately 11 miles south of the coastal city of Hualien, about 96 miles southeast of Taipei.

A building in Taiwan Apr. 3 after the island was hit by a 7.4 magnitude earthquake. (PHOTO | Carlos Garcia Rawlins/REUTERS)

Remarkably, despite the severity of the earthquake, Taiwan demonstrated considerable preparedness. Even the two buildings most heavily affected managed to remain largely intact, enabling residents to escape to safety by climbing out of upper-story windows.

One notable structure, the rounded red brick Uranus Building, which had leaned precariously following the collapse of its lower floors, attracted numerous curious onlookers. Its survival stands as a testament to Taiwan’s proactive approach to disaster preparedness, evident in advancements in building codes, heightened public awareness, and the presence of highly trained search-and-rescue teams. These factors, perhaps coupled with a stroke of luck, contributed to the relatively low casualty count.

As of Thursday, the death toll had risen to 10, with over 1,000 individuals sustaining injuries and several dozen still reported missing. Additionally, more than 87,000 households in Taiwan remained without power. In response, President Tsai Ing-wen announced the deployment of military resources to aid ongoing rescue and recovery efforts.

LEAVE A COMMENT
About the Contributor
Lauren Haggerty
Lauren Haggerty, Reporter
Lauren Haggerty is a junior and first-year staffer at Le Journal. Her favorite drink is diet coke and her favorite color is pink. She is super excited to receive her Junior ring this year!  

Comments (0)

All Le Journal Live Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *