News and Publications of Notre Dame de Sion

Sion Student Media

Sion Student Media

Sion Student Media

Addie’s Advice: Burn Out & Finals

As we near the end of the school year, burnout becomes real and finals become a tough finishing line to cross.

Regardless of what grade you are in, burnout becomes a serious obstacle for finishing out school and finals strong. It becomes easy to say “I just want to get it over with.” In a way, that is a great mentality, but only if you pair it with “I need to give it my all now then enjoy summer.” Here are some ways I have learned that can help combat burnout and help succeed in finals.

The first thing I have learned is that the dreaded finals binder we all had to make freshman year actually does help. When you have to put all of your sources and study guides together, you are subconsciously studying for your exams. This binder can also motivate you to study because you have an organized set of notes right in front of you. You can also bring it right before finals to get a quick study in.

The second tip I have is to take study breaks. I have learned that when you study non-stop it actually hurts your ability to retain what you are studying. It is important to take naps, get a sweet treat with a friend, etc. Breaks help you reset and refresh so that you can diminish your burnout.

My third tip is to watch helpful videos for topics you are struggling to remember. Sometimes it helps to hear a topic re-explained rather than just read notes. You can also listen to videos while doing assignments or doing other things, so it is an easier study skill. Review videos help you regain general knowledge on a topic.

The best advice I can give is do your best and and give yourselves breaks. We are so close to summer and a reset before an exciting new year with new opportunities, so leave everything you’ve got, and get it over with.

LEAVE A COMMENT
About the Contributor
Addie Doyle
Addie Doyle, Features Editor
Addie is a junior and first-year staffer on Le Journal. She would love to visit Spain, and her favorite food is chips and queso. When she’s not in the classroom you can find her sipping on an iced caramel latte or listening to Baby Keem. Her unpopular opinion is that she loves pickles, and she’s looking forward to receiving her Sion ring.  

Comments (0)

All Le Journal Live Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *