News and Publications of Notre Dame de Sion

Sion Student Media

Sion Student Media

Sion Student Media

Growing a Healthy Mind

The importance of speaking kindly to yourself is often lost in teen years, but can have immense positive impacts.
Graphic | Caroline Deacon

We, as teenagers, girls, and high schoolers tend to talk to ourselves vastly differently than we talk to those around us.

“Why can’t you just be better?” 

“I’ll never be pretty enough.”

“I wish I was like her.”

What would be horribly cruel to say to a peer, we do not hesitate to remark upon ourselves. It’s easy to trap yourself in this hateful mindset, to repeat a cycle of mental self harm over and over again. Eventually, it becomes more natural to accept negative self-talk if it is well practiced. In the same way, this philosophy can be applied to positive self-talk. If you make a habit of speaking kindly and graciously of yourself, you will find it much easier to continue doing so, and more difficult to let negative thoughts infiltrate your conscience. 

As cliche as it may sound, being constantly surrounded by a social media world can prey upon insecurities and motivate negative self-talk. Never before have humans had such extensive access to complete stranger’s lives, who have the ability to manipulate the media to portray their perfections and emit their flaws. As teenagers, it is difficult to not wrap ourselves up in the constant comparisons thrown our way. Whether through seeing an Instagram post, talking with friends, or even going to the gym, there’s a constant comparison put on us, as though it is inconceivable that we may be happy with our own bodies. Through this negative societal mindset, negativity pours in as the need for perfection outweighs the reality of our flaws. So how can we cultivate a positive mind?

In truth, it is extremely difficult to be positive all the time, and I think that if one approaches a mindset change with this attitude, it may result in only a temporary change. However, if we approach our mindsets one day at a time, little by little, we may see a more sustainable impact. Listen to how you talk to yourself. If you don’t do the best on a test or at a game, how do you approach yourself? Is it filled with self-motivation for the future, or self-degradation of your present performance? When you catch yourself berating yourself for mistakes, shove the thought from your mind and attempt to think of something you are proud of yourself for that day. Although this is easier said than done, making a consistent effort to fill your mind with positive thoughts can truly help you develop a healthy mindset over time.

LEAVE A COMMENT
About the Contributor
Caroline Deacon
Caroline Deacon, Opinions & Editorials Editor
Caroline is a first-year Le Journal staffer. Her favorite road trip snack is original Pringles, and her guilty pleasure is spoonfuls of cherry ice cream. If she could have dinner with one celebrity she would be eating tres leches with Greta Gerwig, but if she was busy directing a movie, Zendaya would have the next invite. It's also important to note that Caroline is an avid T-Swift fan.  

Comments (0)

All Le Journal Live Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *