News and Publications of Notre Dame de Sion

Sion Student Media

Sion Student Media

Sion Student Media

OJ Simpson Dead at 76

Former football star and Hollywood actor, who was charged with killing his wife and her friend had died at age 76 of prostate cancer.
PHOTO | Lane Stewart/Getty Images
Selected as the No. 1 overall pick by the Buffalo Bills in the 1969 draft, O.J. Simpson’s standout season occurred in 1973. During this remarkable year, he made history by becoming the first running back to surpass the 2,000-yard rushing mark in a single season. Simpson’s extraordinary achievement included an average of 141.3 yards per game, which remains an NFL record to this day.

O.J. Simpson, the renowned football icon and Hollywood actor, has passed away at the age of 76 after battling prostate cancer. His family announced his passing through Simpson’s official X account, stating that he died in Las Vegas surrounded by his children and grandchildren. They requested privacy and grace during this time of mourning.

Simpson’s life was a mix of fame, fortune, and controversy, reaching its peak in June 1994 when he was accused of the murders of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman in Los Angeles. The discovery of their bodies outside Brown Simpson’s condo sparked a nationwide spectacle, as Simpson, instead of surrendering, led police on a slow-speed chase through Los Angeles in a white Ford Bronco.

Before this infamous incident, Simpson had achieved widespread acclaim as a Heisman Trophy-winning athlete at the University of Southern California and later as a charismatic actor in films like “The Naked Gun” series. However, his trial for the murders, dubbed the “trial of the century,” captivated the public and stirred intense debates on race, celebrity, and justice.

Simpson with Nicole Brown Simpson in 1980. (PHOTO | RALPH DOMINGUEZ)

Simpson’s illustrious NFL career spanned 11 seasons, the majority of which were spent with the Buffalo Bills, who selected him as the No. 1 pick in the 1969 NFL draft. During his time with Buffalo, he earned the moniker “The Juice” and was a key member of the renowned offensive line dubbed the Electric Company. Simpson’s prowess on the field was unmatched; he secured four NFL rushing titles, accumulated an impressive 11,236 yards rushing throughout his career, scored 76 touchdowns, and earned recognition with five first-team All-Pro selections and six Pro Bowl appearances.

Reflecting on his extraordinary achievement, Simpson expressed pride in leaving an indelible mark on the history of the game. He acknowledged that his groundbreaking season of 1973 solidified his legacy in football, remarking, “If I did nothing else in my life, I’d made my mark.”

His crowning achievement came in the 1973 season, where he made history by becoming the first running back to surpass the 2,000-yard rushing mark, accomplishing this feat in just 14 games. Simpson’s remarkable performance that season, averaging 141.3 yards per game, remains an NFL record to this day.Reflecting on his extraordinary achievement, Simpson expressed pride in leaving an indelible mark on the history of the game. He acknowledged that his groundbreaking season of 1973 solidified his legacy in football, remarking, “If I did nothing else in my life, I’d made my mark.”

Despite being acquitted of murder charges in 1995, Simpson was found liable for the deaths in a subsequent civil trial and was ordered to pay millions in damages to the victims’ families. His life took another dark turn when he was involved in an armed robbery in Las Vegas in 2007, resulting in his conviction and a lengthy prison sentence.

Even during his incarceration, Simpson remained defiant, maintaining his innocence and insisting that the robbery was an attempt to reclaim stolen memorabilia. He was released on parole in 2017 but continued to be haunted by the controversies that defined his life.

LEAVE A COMMENT
About the Contributor
Lauren Haggerty
Lauren Haggerty, Reporter
Lauren Haggerty is a junior and first-year staffer at Le Journal. Her favorite drink is diet coke and her favorite color is pink. She is super excited to receive her Junior ring this year!  

Comments (0)

All Le Journal Live Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *